[DeTomaso] MSD 6AL failure modes

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Jun 10 20:28:07 EDT 2012

In a message dated 6/10/12 4:30:55 PM, cuvee at sbcglobal.net writes:

> Is this just a MSD problem OR do other brands have the same problem?
> So...is MSD the best? What other brands are out there that do the same job? At
> least on this Forum you don't seem to hear about the other brands crapping
> out? "Mallory, Pertronix, Accel, or even the Ford units used in thousands
> of fords?"

Since I don't know exactly what causes any given ignition to fail, the
general answer is -ANY electronic assembly- although MSD gets quite a few
complaints. That said, my two failures with a Ford Duraspark 2 have been strictly
my own fault: The first was due to an overheated can-of-oil coil that
exploded, then shorted from having the ignition switch on too long without firing
the engine.
The second one was a dead short from a screwdriver due to being in a hurry
and working in the area of the control box without first disconnecting the
battery. Fixed the first one one by substituting an e-coil that has no oil
and is not heat-sensitive. I later found that a dead short will also waste a
box while leaving the e-coil unaffected. Both failures did nothing to the
e-distributor's original Hall-effect pickup, either. New far-east-made
Duraspark boxes are around $45 at any auto store in the universe, and even less from
recyclers. FWIW- J DeRyke