[DeTomaso] MSD 6AL failure modes

CharlesMcCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 15:37:28 EDT 2012

Thanks, Bill, I always keep a spare as well, as my last unit just quit as
well. (Note that this was just after having welded on the car, which is a
sure fire way to kill the boxes it would appear)

>>>I presume you weren't present when the welding took place?  You knew it
would kill the MSD box, but the shop didn't?

****Mike, this was back in 2001 when my chassis fell apart. My MSD didn't
work, I sent it to them for repair and bought a spare.

Bring the blowed-up box to LMC and I'll bring it home and send it to MSD to
have it overhauled; last time I did one, it only cost $35.

>I'm just wondering if they can ever die slowly?

>>>Mine died slowly...it took several blocks.  The car started to stutter a
bit, then ran fine, then stuttered a bit, then ran fine, then stuttered,
then quit.  Total time from initial symptoms to parked on the side of the
road was about a minute.

Given that you always carry a spare, and that your spare is now in the car
and your primary box is blowed up, methinks you need another spare.  I can
send you my spare today if you like, and you can give me your blowed-up one
in exchange in a few weeks?

Am I correct in understanding that your primary box quit some time ago, and
your spare box is suspect?  Or has your spare one now quit and you're a
pedestrian?

****None of the above. 10 years ago, after having my chassis repaired the
MSD quit. I bought a spare and had it installed. The original I had repaired
and it has been in my front trunk ever since. I just have a flaky problem
that comes and goes (remember Belguim last year). I just had the carb
completely rebuilt and it is neither better nor worse. I'm wondering if it
could be ignition related?