[DeTomaso] MSD 6AL failure modes

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Jun 10 15:23:40 EDT 2012

In a message dated 6/10/12 11 21 6, charlesmccall at gmail.com writes:

> Thanks, Bill, I always keep a spare as well, as my last unit just quit as
> well. (Note that this was just after having welded on the car, which is a
> sure fire way to kill the boxes it would appear)
>
>>>I presume you weren't present when the welding took place?   You knew it
would kill the MSD box, but the shop didn't?

Bring the blowed-up box to LMC and I'll bring it home and send it to MSD to
have it overhauled; last time I did one, it only cost $35.

> >I'm just wondering if they can ever die slowly?
>
>>>Mine died slowly...it took several blocks.   The car started to stutter
a bit, then ran fine, then stuttered a bit, then ran fine, then stuttered,
then quit.   Total time from initial symptoms to parked on the side of the
road was about a minute.

Given that you always carry a spare, and that your spare is now in the car
and your primary box is blowed up, methinks you need another spare.   I can
send you my spare today if you like, and you can give me your blowed-up one
in exchange in a few weeks?

Am I correct in understanding that your primary box quit some time ago, and
your spare box is suspect?   Or has your spare one now quit and you're a
pedestrian?