[DeTomaso] Opinions requested

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Jun 10 13:45:54 EDT 2012

In a message dated 6/10/12 10 06 18, cengles at cox.net writes:

>             What is the reputation of QA1 shocks and springs?
>
>>>Excellent, with one caveat.   Both Wilkinson and Larry Stock sell the
same shocks, BUT Wilkinson puts appropriate-strength springs on them, while
Larry puts springs that are way, WAY too soft on his.   I didn't know that
when I bought mine, and spent years bouncing all over the place when driving
really hard.

Admittedly they were nice and cushy when driving down the freeway, but
that's not what I bought a Pantera for.

I sold them (with full disclosure!) to a fellow PCNC member who was after
nice and cushy, and fitted a set of Konis with proper-weight springs.   The
car was transformed.

In retrospect, I could easily have junked Larry's springs and fitted proper
ones (QA1 will sell you a spring in just about any length and strength,
cheaply) and been just as happy.

> >          What is the reputation of Boyd Coddington wheels?

When Coddington was making wheels for Pantera East, they were quite good.
But they they had a parting of the ways, and Coddington got into the
business of making and selling various rip-off editions, using much thinner
(cheaper) blanks, taking unfortunate liberties with the original design, etc. etc.

I've never heard any quality issues about those wheels (i.e. they are
round, and true), but from an aesthetic opinion, some of them leave a LOT to be
desired.

FWIW I just had a set of Marino's current wheels pass through my hands on
the way to a European buyer (being made by a different custom wheelmaker in
So-Cal) a few weeks ago, and they were excellent.   I also had a set of
Wilkinson's wheels pass through last week, and they were quite good, although
lacking some of the three-dimensional quality of Marino's wheels.