[DeTomaso] Transmission viewing hole cover

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Sat Jun 9 17:22:32 EDT 2012

Dear Chuck,

        You wrote:

               1) how important is it to have the hole covered, and

"Yes to prevent some tool or debris from falling in.... and no(t) to allow
heat to escape."

        Just before or during the Phoenix Rally, I was told that the
bellhousing port was for ventilation to allow heat to escape.

        I guffawed at this bit of ZF trivia.  At the rally, I checked with
our POCA President and ZF expert, Les Gray.   I was shocked that Les
confirmed that the port was indeed for ventilation.  I believe he said that
serious racing European Panteras have screens that cover the port
to..."prevent some tool or debris from falling in...." and to also allow
heat to escape.

        I have had my two Panteras adorned with the tastefully color
coordinated port covers for a total of 100,000 miles.  There have been no
known problems.  The recent cross country escapade to Phoenix and back, over
2,334 miles, by the same two Panteras at healthy speeds for long distances,
likewise, produced no sign of a problem.

        So, that is all that I know about ZF bellhousing port covers.
Experience seems to show that no harm seems to be done in normal Pantera
driving with the port covered, despite what the original ZF engineers
thought.

                        Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles