[DeTomaso] Clutch return spring info

jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Fri Jun 8 15:48:00 EDT 2012

Nice work Mike, That is good to know.

JT
---- MikeLDrew at aol.com wrote:

=============
Hi guys,

While working on Lori's clutch (replacing a junk clutch master
cylinder--one of hundreds of bad ones out there, or so it seems), we discovered that her
stock slave cylinder return spring had broken.   It was just dangling from
the non-broken end.

I know the vendors sell replacements, but they tend to be rather expensive,
plus shipping charges are exorbitant on small items like that.   I decided
to try to find a local replacement.   I wound up hitting all the hardware
stores in town and buying numerous different springs in the hopes that one
would do the trick.

I had ambitions of doing some scientific testing of the stock spring in the
hopes of determining the strength/tension, and then comparing my newly
purchased springs until I found one that came close.   My neighbor is the
facilities manager for the nearby Kaiser hospital, and he told me that they had a
special tool used to measure the tension of doors.   By law, hospital doors
need to require no more than X pounds of force to open them, and this tool
ensures that all doors are in compliance.

So off to the hospital workshops we went.   I decided to put the spring in
a vice, and pull on the other end, and measure the amount of force needed to
stretch it exactly one inch.   That figure turned out to be exactly 11
pounds.

I then randomly drew from my collection of springs.   The very first one
that I sampled is exactly the same length as, and just slightly larger in
diameter than than the stock spring, and testing revealed that the pull figure
was--11 pounds!

Test over!

I had actually purchased a pair of likely-looking springs from Lowe's,
along with a larger assortment of springs that included what appeared to be
these same springs.   Oddly, the pair cost $4.03 while the assortment of about a
dozen different springs, which included this same pair among them, cost
only $3.97?

The spring in question measures 5/8" x 2 1/2" x .072".   The ends of the
spring loop completely around, so for ease of installation Lori took a cutoff
wheel and cut about 1/8 inch off the ends.

Once in place, it works flawlessly and is indistinguishable from the
original, other than the shiny new finish.

Photo of the original (with one end broken off), the replacement (actually,
the spare of the pair, without the ends cut), and both packages is here:

Bill--one for the database!