[DeTomaso] new noise coming from engine bay

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 12:32:11 EDT 2012

 This morning when I started my car  (193 Pantera L 49k miles)  I noticed a
new and unusual sound.My engine is slightly modified. I don't know the
exact details as the previous owner is deceased. What I do know is that it
has a holley 650, edelbrock performer intake, hall big bore headers, mind
train mufflers, MSD  6al , blaster coil,  MSD 8577 distributor, and I have
been told by mechanics that it has a performance cam of some sort.
 When I started the car I heard  a noise that sounded like  some sort of
friction almost like a grinding. The engine s performance doe not seem to
be affected ( I didn't really drive it I just revved it and moved it  a
hundred feet or so.  I didn't notice any change in the guages ( although I
didn't let it run for long the voltage (I have a volt guage) was showing
between 13 and 14 volts, the water temp was 160, the oil pressure was
normal.  I know it is asking alot to attempt adiagnoses based onthis info
but  any suggestions would be appreciated (suggestions on how to diagnose
the actual problem). I was thinking that perhaps the water pump is going or
maybe one of the pulleys. There was no bearing hum and no squeaking. I am
going outside to pull the engine hatch . I am writing this while I am
waiting for it to cool off.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Boyd