[DeTomaso] ZF Mounted Inboard Brakes

The DeTomaso Registry Guy detomasoregistry at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 14:59:23 EDT 2012

The other day I was asked to post photos of a cable shifter for our ZF.

Then Saturday I took a sporty drive thru the mountains in a vintage Jag.

These two things reminded me of the topic of inboard brakes, a la Jaguar.  I
remembered

seeing a ZF with the brake rotor assembly mounted on the ZF, so I started
searching for photos.

I think this was Ted Mitchell's work, not sure.

ZF mounted brakes has been discussed some time ago, but in searching the
archives

I could not find the thread.

I guess the archives search function still sucks, I even used a google-based
deep mine

search technique without success.  Anyway.

One advantage of this design is that it moves the rear brake weight from the
un-sprung

side of the equation to the sprung side.

One disadvantage is that it adds heat to the ZF, it is also a bit
complicated.

While adding vintage photos to the DeTomaso Registry, I stumbled across
photos of a so-equipped

ZF.  I'm adding these photos to the ever-growing section on our beloved ZF,
find the link under the welcome photo.

http://www.provamo.com/Members/ProvaMoMemMain.asp

Chuck Melton

(The Registry Guy)