[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 95, Issue 5

RCBSONS1 at aol.com RCBSONS1 at aol.com
Tue Jun 5 11:28:44 EDT 2012

My old mustang had a front air to oil cooler
Street driven it was hard to get the temp to
the oil... hit the track and 240 was not a problem

After disposing of the pistons on the track with the
old motor I built a Dart block 331 at 520 hp. Since dart
has better cooling, oiling and a thicker block I could
not get the gauge to register (starts at 140) with the new
motor so I finally blocked it partially to get some oil temp
in the motor on the street

Pantera has had several oil coolers, air to water , water to oil
now.. my car when pushing it needs more oil cooler.. I see
300 plus on the gauge until the wire broke a while back
Still push the car and no engine damage in 7 years + for me
I wonder if the gauge was off??? At this point don't really care so I
just drive the hell out of it at 7000 rpm... held it back a little
to keep the pistons off the track... that rev limiter has saved this motor
for sure because I would have spun it until tomorrow when needed

Might fix the wire some day and try the Ron Davis cooler

A heat exchanger is nice to get the temp in the motor when
first cold.. I had that issue when autocrossing back in the day
when it was cold out.. took the car to the track with too cold
of a motor many times.. not good

Bob Benson