[DeTomaso] oil Coolers?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Jun 4 11:30:23 EDT 2012

In a message dated 6/4/12 6 48 0, adin at frontier.net writes:

> Not understood: how one gets oil temps like that on the street;
>
>>>A zillion-horsepower engine, driven gently at street speeds, won't
(shouldn't anyway) generate any oil temps appreciably hotter than the water.   My
427 Cobra has mechanical oil and water temp gauges, and I had to put a 192
thermostat in it to get it to heat up enough to get the oil temp needle off
the bottom peg when driving down the road.   However, that same car will
send the oil temp gauge into the middle zone when pushed hard on a track; it
has an effective air-oil cooler and a thermostatic adapter, so the oil never
gets too hot (although I admit I never really pushed it THAT hard).

>>>why a bigger cooler isn't used to get the temps down.

The Pantera architecture doesn't lend itself to oil cooling systems.
Air/oil coolers are just about impossible to implement successfully due to the
shape of the car.   Water/oil heat exchangers seem to be a much more
effective solution, although they do put additional strain on the radiator, so the
radiator better have a lot of overhead room to be able to shed heat above and
beyond what the engine would normally put into the water by itself.

Water/oil heat exchangers have, on occasion, turned into water/oil
exchangers, which is a nightmare.

You have to really want one!