[DeTomaso] oil Coolers?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Jun 3 23:09:09 EDT 2012

In a message dated 6/3/12 7:35:51 PM, adin at frontier.net writes:

> I don't understand how an oil cooler works great but temps are higher
> than water.  Can someone help me understand this?

Engine that produce lots of power or are under heavy loads dump more heat
into the water and the oil. And oil doesn't dissipate heat very well or very
fast, compared to water which also has a (relatively) huge radiator to dump
heat. So lightly-loaded engines tend to run their oil at or near water
temps, and engines that put out lots of power tend to run much hotter oil temps
than water,   thus needing a dedicated cooler.
Some ORR Pantera runners found they needed to run the higher speed classes
not by the speedometer but by the oil temp gauge; around town and at legal
speeds oil temps were fine at 190-210F, but at 160 mph-up for many minutes at
a time, 275F was looked upon as a 'reasonable' oil   temp (only if it was
synthetic). Thus a compact oil cooler that could knock 15-20 F degrees off
the oil temp was better for bearing life. FWIW- J DeRyke