[DeTomaso] Engine Choices

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 30 18:07:06 EDT 2012

As much as I love the Cleveland, I think the BMW V8 conversion is quite interesting and intriguing!  But not for the budget-minded...

Here are some Pantera - BMW V8 links:

http://www.bodinecc.com/
http://www.bodinecc.com/Detomaso%20pantera.html
http://www.streetfire.net/video/nice-sounding-detomaso-pantera-with-bmw-v8-wwwbo_33189.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXQsvDrohHk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4g6-ewavbU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrmacfW7yrM
http://youtu.be/lv_OeD5n24A
http://youtu.be/0Si7cl_Bjc4
http://youtu.be/YrmacfW7yrM
http://youtu.be/dV3AQT6B4Qw

Sounds like someone in the UK is swapping a BMW 740i engine into their Pantera too:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=727614

And while we're dreaming of expensive swaps, how about the V8 from a Mercedes C63?
The C63 uses a big 6.2-liter V8 which is good for 443
lb-ft of torque and 451 horsepower.

The torque curve of the engine is flat and delivers more than 360 pound-feet from 2000 to 6250 rpm - ideal for powerful
acceleration at any engine speed range.
The sprint to 62 mph takes a scant 4.5 seconds according to Mercedes, an estimate that is likely conservative by at least three tenths of a
second. (press quote)

And for more power, the AMG Development Package ups
the output to 481 ponies by borrowing forged pistons, connecting rods and
lightweight crankshaft from the SLS AMG’s engine. Torque remains
unchanged. Mercedes claims the package will scoot the car to 62 mph in
4.3 seconds; in the real world, expect times in the high 3-second range.

Here's a 2011 C63 engine, complete, with only 5K miles for $7,825 (shipping included) - sounds too cheap IMO.

http://www.theautochannel.com/autoparts/used-enginespartsmercedes/2011-c63_amg.html

Here's an ended ebay auction for a 2010 C63 engine, but it was $17,500
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=190682676283