[DeTomaso] Engine Choices

richard bosch theemonkey at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 30 16:15:44 EDT 2012

If you really do not want to run a Cleveland anymore i would go with the Windsor motor.
I love mine!Of course it is not stock : )Mine is very drivable even though it is pretty strong.Roughly 550 hp and it is not dialed in yet at all.I pulled a 12.3 at the drag strip in Phoenix at the Fun Rally spinning thru 3rd gear.My 60 foot time was a 2.6!That is slow for people who do not follow drag racing.As an example my Mach 1 that i dragged years ago did the 60 foot in 1.2 and that had a weaker engine than this one.If i put this Windsor in that car it would be a low 11 to high 10 second car.
I got 22 mpg coming from Monterey last year cruising in 5th gear with an 850 cfm carb.I now have an 830 cfm carb that is not tuned yet so i am only getting around 15 mpg at the moment.
My engine is a 408 with AFR 185 heads,hydraulic roller cam(600 lift,246 @50 duration).All off the shelf parts that any decent engine builder can do.If interested i can look up the exact parts list.
Richard(drives the Pantera more than my other cars!)Boschert