[DeTomaso] Engine Choices-BMW?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Jul 30 15:36:42 EDT 2012

Anyone that's ever actually worked on a BMW will agree with Chuck. I got
one in awhile back: the harmonic balancer had separated at speed. The outer
ring came off, broke the belt & PLASTIC serpentine pulleys, took out the
radiator, hit the ground and bounced up- cracking the aluminum pan and magnesium
pump pickup inside, hit the ground again and bounced a second time cracking
the aluminum transmission talishaft housing right at the jont with the main
case, chipping it. The BMW shop wanted to scrap the car due to the cost of
replacement parts & labor. I did $200 worth of TIG-welding and sent him on
his way with an armful of repaired parts to reassemble. Never heard anything
more.

Chuck's also correct on Dan's 'favorite' 351-C build shop: I've suggested
he go to a Pantera shop since he bought the racer. The Byars, PI Motorsport,
Wilkinson.... at least someone who's familiar with 351-Cs, not Chevys.
J Deryke