[DeTomaso] Engine Choices

gow2 at rc-tech.net gow2 at rc-tech.net
Mon Jul 30 09:12:27 EDT 2012

I always think of the Pantera as an unrefined brute. I can't get my head
around a Pantera with a more modern V8. It's like when I see a 32 Ford
with an LS engine it begs the question why? It's kind of like water and
oil.

I am a fan of cubic inches and the tq that comes with it. Cubic inches
allow you to make power at lower RPM's. This is great or many reasons.

What good is a small engine which makes 400hp at 8,000 rpm but 150hp at
4,000 rpm? It may be competitive for it's class and size at a large oval
but miserable to drive.

Making power at lower RPM increases longevity of an engine as well.

Common knowledge I am putting a Ford 400 in mine; been working on it way
to long. Re inventing the wheel at every corner. Everyone works a problem
with an angle; here is mine.

The 400 has much in common with the Cleveland. It is the same bore spacing
which means it does not push the ZF back like the FE's. 400 stroked 434 or
cubes. Different bell housing and different engine mount on one side. You
would need probably need to build custom headers (although I have built
darn near everything on this car a little different).

With aluminum heads weight is about the same as a Cleveland. Engine is a
mild build which is intentional for durability and valve health. High RPM
engines come with valve maintenance.

Dino-ed at 500hp, 534lbs tq. The engine developed 434lbs of Tq at 2000rpm.
While that is not a monster by todays standards keep in mind the engine
has 434lbs of tq at 2000rpm where a mouse motor would not be making any
power to much higher RPM's.

Not a exact bolt in replacement but not overly complicated to swap either:

This is pictures from running the engine this weekend:

http://www.rc-tech.net/cars2/panttransam/434web.jpg
Gary