[DeTomaso] Engine Choices

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 08:32:26 EDT 2012

A Hemi?

I really like the carefully crafted Clevelands we've been putting
together on the list.  Great Dyno sheets, fun rides, fancy gear.  But
a lot of busted rides too. I have a special place in my heart for FE
motors and honestly someone needs to squeeze one of those massive
stroked 429 Boss clones into their P car.  A turbo buick is still a
bit exotic but a LS6 is kind of a yawn... but really good power and
reliability.

I've never been a fan of the Intech or Cobra motor swaps.  Not enough
power after doing all that work, but a Coyote motor would be as much
work with a bigger payoff.  A flat rear dash, reliable 430HP+ and
decent gas mileage...

...and road manners area all really important to me now.  You can
build a 500HP Cleveland without too much trouble, but parts start to
get more exotic, and it's a bear on the street.  EFI can help a lot
but it's still going to be a tough go of it idling through a
neighborhood.   That said, it will also *sound* tough as a well built
Cleveland and so far the Coyote motor doesn't have the same fierce
spitting and hissing that I'm used to.

sean