[DeTomaso] Distributorless Ignition

Chance Dorsey chance.dorsey at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 29 14:21:18 EDT 2012

Gary,

For my distributor less system.  I'm combining two OEM Ford Cam Syncs to make one.

Take a look at this photo:

http://www.poca.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=36748

The Cam Sync on the left is from a mid 90's Ford 3.8 liter.  I believe this one came out of a Mustang.  $15 at the wrecking yard.  The shaft on it is the same size as the shaft on the Cleveland and will drive the oil pump fine.  However, the housing is too small to fit in the Cleveland distributor hole.

The Cam Sync on the right came out of a Ford Explorer with a 302.  I think early 90's.  Same price at the bone yard.  The housing on it fits the Cleveland distributor hole just fine.  However, the oil pump drive shaft is too small for a Cleveland oil pump.

I disassembled everything and fit the 5.0 Explorer housing with the 3.8 Mustang shaft and presto......you have a cam sync for a Cleveland.  Don't forget to add your favorite Cleveland distributor gear.

http://www.poca.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=36751

No its really not that easy!  There are some precise measurements that need to be made for drilling pin holes to locate the disributor gear and shaft retaining ring.  Then you've got to get the sync to talk to the computer.  Megasquirt in my case.

Mechanically everything lines up.  However, I've yet to start my motor with this setup since I'm still working on the "crank trigger/serpentine belt/bulkhead reduction" all in one assembly.  Thats a later post.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Chance Dorsey
Austin, TX