[DeTomaso] 265/50-15 tires

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Jul 27 03:42:41 EDT 2012

Most stock Panteras can easily do 150 mph and tires used on the cars should
really reflect the machine's capabilities. Unless you have a rev-limiter
that the driver cannot defeat while at the wheel, to curb excess enthusiasm I
suggest it's not a good idea to under-rate tires on your sportscar. It's not
impossible to find 'V' (140mph), 'W' (168 mph) or 'Y' (186 mph)- rated
tires today, it's just that they will not be cheap nor plentiful, even in other
than 15" sizes. The small PIrelli tire plant in Izmir Turkey still makes a
P-7R in 275-55 x 15 size, W-rated. The last time I saw a new one (2010),
price was a bit over $600 each. They also come in 295-50x 15" (seen new last
month, priced higher. Tires went to Sweden).

As I've said before, running an S-rated tire above its 112 mph speed
designation for 'awhile' will likely not result in catastrophic failure, but you
never know since the tire was not certified for such use. And 'cap-ply' seem
to be a catchy label describing what Pirelli used in the '80s on their 'P-7
R' brand tire. This was supposedly meant for -not race- but high-speed long
distance rallies like the Monte Carlo. According to performance tire dealer
Roger Kraus in Castro Valley, a second (steel) ply was used around the OD of
the Pirelli carcass to prevent it from growing under centrifugal force and
throwing off vital speedometer calibrations that T & D ralliests depend on.
THanks for the update-   FWIW- J Deryke