[DeTomaso]   265/50-15 tires

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Jul 26 15:57:46 EDT 2012

In a message dated 7/26/12 11 00 0, dennis617 at aol.com writes:

> The speed ratings on tires has to do with the stiffness of the sidewall
> of
> the tire.  That's why when I mixed high speed rated front tires with "S"
> speed rated rears I nearly got myself killed in normal highway driving at
> normal highway speeds.  The car was almost undriveable, you could not go
> into any kind of a curve in the road without the back trying to slide out
> past the turn.
>

>>>That doesn't really have anything to do with speed ratings.   It
probably had more to do with different tire compounds and/or inflation issues.

Most low-speed tires are fairly squishy, it's true.   They can also feature
tire compounds that are biased more towards long life than traction.   So
while your experience is true, the conclusion that it's solely down to the
speed rating isn't.   You can get really sticky S-rated tires, and you can get
high-speed-rated tires that are like hockey pucks....