[DeTomaso] Newly Discovered Pantera

michael@michaelshortt.com michaelsavga at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 13:20:31 EDT 2012

OK, not really that new, I found it four or five years ago and have
been keeping it a secret hoping the owner would sell it to me, I have
asked every 6 months, unknown to me, he sold it to another person who
knew me about 4 months after I last asked ( for a $1,000 more than I
offered.... %$#@$%).

So there is now a "public" discovery to announce.

It belonged to the local Ford Dealer's son when he went to college, he
drove it for 2 years in 1974 and 1975 and parked it, it has remained
indoors in a climate controlled garage since then.  It is NPSO7241, a
1974 in YELLOW.  It had never been titled until two months ago, it has
24K miles on it.

Sounds great, yet this was an unloved storage, the brakes were gone,
the m?c was gone, the clutch was gone, the tires are dry rotted.  The
doors are full of dings from being parked on a college campus in the
70's.  The new owner has redone the brakes, recovered the inside front
boot and tub, fixed the m?c and installed a new intake and carb,
wires, oil change and other misc stuff.

It has the original steering wheel in excellent shape ( first one I
have ever seen , still fugly )

I had the opportunity to drive it just now.....

Interesting experience, tight steering rack ( felt really nice ), sits
high up compared to mine, and rides like a sedan compared to mine.  I
liked the flat top of the new dash dash, although t honestly I like my
two pods better else where, the molded dash versus a covered dash
looks more "common", but the flat dash surface below the window in
sorta cool.

It needs tires, it needs a paint job, the seats are like new.  I
seriously doubt that nothing over 105lbs has ever sat in the right
seat since new.  The carpet is original, grey felt looking stuff in
good shape.

It shifts nice, although the clutch compared to mine is like a small
modern car, long throw and soft to engage, yet crisp once there.

I will intro the owner to the forum in the days to come, photos will
be posted on Monday,

Michael Shortt

I told the owner that a serious restoration type person might offer
him a new Momo for the like new Capri steering wheel, so if that's
you, hit me up with an email and I'll share.

--

Michael L. Shortt
Savannah, Georgia
michael at michaelshortt.com