[DeTomaso] NPC: Porsche Boxster head gasket

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 10:46:21 EDT 2012

Hi Corey,

I've had bad luck with modern cars replacing the head gasket.  I would
recommend the new motor.  A lot of havoc can be wreaked on a motor if
it overheats.  No problem on a Pantera with iron heads, just let it
cool down and it will be fine.  But I've seen two Volvos (VW designed
motor) die horrible death after brief overheating.  Simple things like
the heater core or the plastic swirl tank will crack and leak, and
then the fluid gets low and on a hot day...

Those motors are fussy.  I'd look at them as if they were a potato,
you either have a good one or a bad one.  Not much in between.  Even
after machining all surfaces flat, there are unseen problems with
broken or worn piston rings and head cracks.  More trouble than it's
worth.

sean