[DeTomaso] FwNPC For those whose garage is height challenged

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 16 14:56:59 EDT 2012

<< Anybody have this lift or know anyone who does. Any comments on the quality etc? >>

Robert,

Are you looking for a service lift or a storage lift?

Do you want to be able to service vehicles on it, or are you trying to park/stack multiple cars in your garage?
I'm similarly challenged by a low ceiling in my garage and need to stack cars, however I would also like the ability to use the lift for service.

Following are a couple of thoughts...
1. A 2-post lift may not be suitable as a storage lift due to the hanging suspension/wheels which may make it impractical to park under.
2. A drive-on lift (typically 4-post or 1-post) may not require the vehicle to be raised as high to get another car underneath.

I'd like to get a 4-post lift, if possible, because I could use it when I service my car as well. But, I don't have sufficient ceiling height in my garage to park one of my cars on a drive-on lift and park another car beneath it. Therefore, I am checking to see if I have sufficient length to put it far enough back in my garage to raise a car only high enough to get the nose of the lower car under the lift.

__    _ _- / l    \~-_ ,----~~~~--+-----`--~----____ @   /~_~\  | ~      |   /~_~\~~~-, \_ ( (_) )  \_______|  ( (_) )_-~ ~~\___/~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\___/~
=====================================    _..-------++._
                                     _.-'/ |      _||  \"--._
                               __.--'`._/_\j_____/_||___\    `----.
                          _.--'_____    |          \     _____    /
                        _j    /,---.\   |        =o |   /,---.\   |_
                       [__]==// .-. \\==`===========/==// .-. \\=[__]
                         `-._|\ `-' /|___\_________/___|\ `-' /|_.'
                               `---'                     `---'

If my garage is not long enough to accommodate the proposed arrangement above, then I have found a parking lift that will allow me to stack cars, despite the low ceiling. However, it costs substantially more than the other lifts.

This is the Harding Steel Parking Lift. It will accommodate stacking cars in a garage with low ceilings, but there is a floor, which precludes being able to service a vehicle on the lift.
http://www.hardingsteel.com/carlifts.shtml

Here are some others I've looked at:

4-Post Lifts:
http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/four-post-lifts/HD-9ST.aspx