[DeTomaso] Montana 7/14/12-FW: Speedometer Calibration Problem

David Nunn dnunn at telus.net
Mon Jul 16 00:46:23 EDT 2012

Ken,

If you want to retain the look of your OE speedo but like the idea of an
electric speedo, you can always have the workings removed from an electric
speedo and put into your OE mechanical speedo's housing, effectively turning
your OE speedo into an electric one. Not only do you eliminate the speedo
cable but an electric speedo is easily calibrated. Sending units are
available that eliminate the angle drive on the ZF or that mount on the
angle drive like the speedo cable did. You can even get GPS sending units,
which are accurate regardless of tire diameter, etc. I had mine done by
North Hollywood Speedometer & Clock (818-761-5136) many years ago using a
Pantera Si speedo as the donor and a Veglia sending unit but the guys at
North Hollywood Speedometer told me a VDO or Autometer speedo's "guts" would
have worked just as well. It all looks 100% stock, except for the sending
unit now mounted on the ZF rather than a cable. In fact, the trip odometer
reset cable still works as it did before the conversion.