[DeTomaso] Speedometer Calibration Problem GT5-S Amerisport 1987

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 14 12:25:56 EDT 2012

I believe there are actually a number of permutations that could be at fault here.

1. There are the two brands of angle adapter (Borletti and VDO), but each brand is available in two ratios, 1:1 and 1.1:1 IIRC. Later cars are typically using a VDO angle drive.
2. Two speedometer revolutions are also available 1600 revs per mile and 1200 revs per mile (or something close to that for each)
3. To compound those computations further speedo face plates are often changed, so if (like my GT5) this car was originally a Euro car with km/hr speedo someone may have innocently just changed faceplate to mph (this is was what happened to my GT5) assuming all would be good and it's not.

Establishing what you have for speedo and angle drive is a good starting point as I imagine you have a mismatch somewhere being so far out on indicated vs. actual speed. Modern vs. original spec tire diameters are typically going to give within a 10% error.

Good luck,
Julian