[DeTomaso] Help with Managusta brakes

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Jul 11 22:17:52 EDT 2012

In a message dated 7/11/12 11:25:46 AM, damaadams at aol.com writes:

> I'm scrambling to get the Mangusta ready for a major event and the rear
> brakes have chosen to freeze up. Can anyone tell me the correct part number
> for the required Girling caliper rebuild kit?? ( fronts as well )

Darryl, WHICH Girling brakes? The rears could be small iron Girlings with
pair-of-pliers e-brake calipers built in, or large aluminum Girlings with the
same type of e-brake but all the parts much larger & as usual nothing
interchanges between the types. The aluminums were used on 427 Cobras and a few
other big Brit-cars of the '60s and rebuild kits are available thru Cobra
rebuilders. The small iron ones were on never-imported Alfa Berlina 2600 and
you're on your own with that...
Personally, I'd pop the pistons out of what you've got with air or
hydraulic pressure, scotch-brite the varnish off the pistons & bores and reassemble
with fingers crossed, rebuilding later due to your time constraints. Good
luck- Girling caliper pistons are nickel-plated mild steel, not ss like in the
U.S.   and the steel rusts under the plating like an old bumper, causing
pits that will tear up new seals- another reason to change brake fluid yearly.

Cheers- J Deryke