[DeTomaso] Quiet Friday Morning...Stir it up.

Jeff Detrich jjdetrich at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 11:52:40 EDT 2012

> Geez, sorta quiet around here since the 3rd

Okay, here's another controversial topic that I don't remember being
discussed since the Fun Rally. Radiators. We had a talk by Ron Davis
who makes the radiators for Pant Perf Center. He said we wanted:

Speed both for the coolant and for the airflow over the radiator tubes
Turbulence once again for both
About a 14-16 degree temp drop going thru the radiator, just enough to
take the right amount of BTUs out of the system to keep the engine at
the right temperature
       (NASCAR radiators only need to drop the temp by about 6 degrees
according to Ron)
High temps are dissipated more quickly than lower temps
Aluminium is the best heat transfer metal, providing it's the right aluminum
High pressure in a cooling system is good because it keeps localized
hot spots in the heads from boiling
There is a trade off between more surface area on the tubes and
airflow speed. They use a flat tube laid parallel to the airflow for
better surface area but less frontal area.
Fin design important to get turbulence and more surface area to
dissipate heat from
Use No-Rosion in your aluminum radiators

I'm sure there was more but that's all I remember.

Jeff
6559