[DeTomaso] Spammer identified

Thomas Tornblom thomas at hax.se
Fri Jul 6 02:14:59 EDT 2012

If you view the complete headers, you'll see that the address shown in
the email has nothing to do with the sender.

---
To: <andy at realbig.com>, <detomaso at realbig.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 23:09:33 -0500
From: <andy at realbig.com>, <detomaso at realbig.com>
---

The problem appears to be that they fake the sender to be:
"<andy at realbig.com>, <detomaso at realbig.com>"

All of the spams I've seen so far has had exactly this sender address.
Shouldn't be to hard to filter out mails with this sender.

Normally you would never two sender addresses in the From: line, so it
should not cause any harm if this is filtered out.

Thomas

2012-07-06 03:53, Will Kooiman skrev:
> You should be able to trace it from within the realbig.com server.
>
> E-mail is insecure because you can enter whatever you want for the "from", "to", etc. addresses.  We do it all the time when we write monitors.  The monitor is running from the "oracle" or "root" account, but we don't want people to reply to those addresses.  They are not monitored.  So, we put a real e-mail address in the "From:" like the help desk or dba group.  If they hit<reply>  it goes to the real e-mail address.
>
> In the old days we used to send e-mails on birthdays, from the birthday boy or girl.  It would say, "I turned 30 today and I really feel blue.  Could you please come by and wish me a happy b-day."
>
> It is very easy to script this and send bulk e-mail from whomever you want.  But if you send e-mails to the Internet, it has to be handled by an e-mail server, which sends it to the Internet Service Provider, which sends it to the next server, and so on until it finds the recipient.  Along the way there are log entries.
>
> I don't know how to backtrace the logs, but I know it can be done - as long as you have the cooperation of every admin at each hop.
>
> On Jul 5, 2012, at 7:28 PM, David and Marilyn Bell wrote:
>
>> The listed sending email address (i.e. - Bradly at guideusajob.com) is not a
>> registered member of the detomaso list.  Since it isn't a member account, I
>> can't delete it.  There's not a lot I can do except hit the delete button.
>>
>> I'll admit that it is annoying though.
>>

>> Dave Bell

>>> ns1.plymouthseattle.net