[DeTomaso] Report from France--day 2-3

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Jul 2 10:21:58 EDT 2012

Hi guys,

The wireless was down yesterday, so no report until now.   We're having a
great time, although it hasn't been without mechanical misadventure.

Kristian Poulsen's beautiful Euro pushbutton #1267 has just emerged from a
ground-up restoration and he's working the bugs out of it.   The home-made
bracket to secure the throttle cable to the front of the engine gave up,
because the mounting bolt was too short and stripped the threads in the aluminum
heads, so he was dead in the water.   He limped it to the hotel and did a
little clever work in the parking lot, with assistance from Roland Jackel,
and got it going again.

Roland Bohner's monster twin-turbo Cleveland-powered Mangusta is
ridiculously low, because he's running the stock shocks, but instead of the stock
28-inch tall rear tires, he has 24-inch tires.   As a result, his oil pan hits
the ground all the time.   Yesterday I was following him on a secondary road
when I saw oil streaming from the engine, and pulled alongside to warn him.
 He wound up having to have the car towed to a garage in Angers, but since
it's Sunday, it's a federal crime for anybody to do any work, so he wasn't
able to get it fixed.   This morning I drove him back there, and they let him
put the car up in the air, pull the pan and weld it up, so he's back on the
road again.

Roland Jackel's delightful Longchamp GTS left him stranded when the float
of his Edelbrock carb sprung a leak, and sank, resulting in fuel pouring out
the top of the engine.   He pulled it apart, and we found a small lawnmower
repair shop where the owner carefully drilled a hole, Roland drained the
fuel from the float, then he soldered up both the old and new holes--fixed
better than new!

In the meantime, we've been enjoying scenic drives along the river and
along peaceful country lanes, tours of spectacular chateaus, lingering lunches
in sidewalk cafes, and dinners that stretch well into the evening.   Great
fun being had by all!

We've just arrived at tonight's hotel, and after a quick washup, we're
going to wine tasting, followed by yet another spectacular meal. :>)

Life does not suck at the moment! :>)