[DeTomaso] NPC, Countach->Ferrari

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Tue Jan 31 22:42:58 EST 2012

Dear Mike,

              You struck a chord with the statement,"...the guys who do
their own wrenching would keep the Pantera."   I have a friend who
occasionally asks me if I wouldn't rather own a Ferrari.  I always answer
no, I'd rather own a third Pantera and have the time to work on it.  There
is something about the mechanical bonding (forgive this psychobabble) that
wrenching on a machine that gives something back to you rather than just
doing a job.   It somehow causes an immediate enjoyment, a delayed enjoyment
and an extended delight as the Pantera does what it was designed to do.
Inherent in the design is a simplicity (usually) that lends itself to our
"wrenching".   Perhaps some other cars lend themselves to that, but the
Pantera keeps my attention.  Sorry for the philosophizing.

                        Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles