[DeTomaso] Wheels

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Jan 26 17:52:49 EST 2012

In a message dated 1/26/12 13 55 48, wkooiman at earthlink.net writes:

> I have a campy wheel with an invisible hole like that.
>
> I mounted a wheel, had it aired up, and it was flat by the time I got
> home.
>
> I added more air using my home compressor, and heard the air coming out.
> had to feel the air flowing out with my hand, but for the life of me, I
> couldn't see the hole.

My coffee table wheel has a similar story.   It has a hairline crack in it,
which was visible when the wheel was stripped.   I think it suffered an
injury somewhere along the way, i.e. hitting a pothole with insufficient tire
pressure.   The lip of the wheel wasn't bent however.

I painted it, then had an Arriva mounted and they inflated it to seat the
bead.   When I got home, a big blister had formed in the paint in the area of
the crack.   I had to pop it, sand it, mask it and repaint that area.   It
looks perfect now--and the tire has no air in it....