[DeTomaso] Fwd: Re: Pantera Coolant

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Jan 26 15:30:52 EST 2012

In a message dated 1/26/12 12:15:50 PM, michaelsavga at gmail.com writes:

> I wonder if a swimming pool test kit would work on a coolant mixture?
> They also sell test strips cheaply for hot tubs and pools.

Yes but you may need to let the strip dry a little due to the green (or
red) color of the antifreeze.. The only thing also needed is a GOOD VOM 'cause
a cheap one will not read the low 'local-action' voltage. In my two POCA
articles on the subject, I mentioned that 70 millivolts is the critical level:
below that you're pretty much OK. Above that, you're dissolving your
radiator & other aluminum parts. And obviously in a Pantera you're not going to use
the ground post of the battery for the VOM ground. That's front-engine
stuff. Corvette shops do this test all the time 'cause they also have aluminum
coolant parts. Besides No-Rosion they sometimes use sacrificial anodes of
magnesium or zinc in the surge tank.

Another thing thats interesting to do while you're in the area: while the
VOM is hooked up to the fluid in your surge tank & a good ground, have a
friend TURN ON THE HEADLIGHTS. If the reading on the VOM changes noticably, you
have grounding issues in the electrical system. With the lights on,
progressively pull fuses until the reading goes back to what you originally had on
the VOM. That isolates the circuit giving trouble. Fun with electrons- J
Deryke