[DeTomaso] Things to do while the engine is out?

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 24 23:02:08 EST 2012

I would take a quick trip to Hawaii.

-----Original Message-----
From: detomaso-bounces at realbig.com [mailto:detomaso-bounces at realbig.com] On
Behalf Of MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 7:30 PM
To: adin at frontier.net; detomaso at realbig.com
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Things to do while the engine is out?

In a message dated 1/24/12 15 36 24, adin at frontier.net writes:

> Are there other things I should peek at ????

My gearbox has a big leak from the left side plate, so I need to address
that before my engine goes back in.

My water pump was corroded internally so it's getting replaced.

Think about cleaning up any wiring rats nests (mine are terrible!)

Now is a good time to install a chassis stiffening kit (doesn't your car
already have it?)

Stainless steel firewall and gas tank covers look spiffy, but also reflect
heat.   Putting insulation between them and the steel panels underneath
helps keep the interior and gasoline cooler too.

You'll never find an easier time to install a third brake light on the
underside of the roof.

Replace shift linkage trunnion bearing?   Lubricate linkage, replace rubber
bellows where it enters the car.

Speedo cable/throttle cable lubricate and/or replacement.

Brake line/clutch line replacement (memo to self--need to phone vendors and
order new brake and clutch hard lines in the morning!)

Clutch master/slave replacement (since you need to fill/bleed them anyway,
if they are at all suspect, might as well do it now)

Water bottle upgrade (if you still have the stock bottles, now is the time
to ditch them).

Water pipe/hose replacement (if your pipes are original, replace them.   If
your hoses are at all suspect or of unknown vintage, replace them even if
the pipes are stainless steel replacements)

As you can see, there's a lot more to putting an engine back in a car than
meets the eye.   I failed to do most of these things when I R&Red my engine
last April; now fate has given me a second chance.

Oh joy....:>)