[DeTomaso] Engine Autopsy

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Jan 23 15:36:48 EST 2012

In a message dated 1/23/12 11 55 40, michaelsavga at gmail.com writes:

> That's a different story, if you're already at 30 over, if the walls are
> OK, put it back together,
> seems to be your only option to me.
>
> If the walls are damaged, that block is done IMHO.
>

>>>If only one wall is damaged but the rest are still in good shape, it
could safely be sleeved, and just a single piston replaced.   351C blocks don't
grow on trees.

When I had my stroker built, Dan Jones sold me a spare block he had to
serve as the foundation.   It was original bore but had a deep gouge in one
cylinder.   They determined that it could be cleaned up at .030 over, but found
that another cylinder would be dangerously thin (via sonic testing).   So
that cylinder, not the gouged cylinder, was sleeved.

So, if you're on a budget, you can just do a valve job, replace a single
piston, put it all back together and hope for the best.   If you have more
time/money to devote to the task, then you can step onto the slippery slope and
do it 'right'.