[DeTomaso] Any experience of flipping the ZF with a lowered dry sump motor?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Jan 23 01:27:24 EST 2012

In a message dated 1/22/12 21 07 34, JDeRyke at aol.com writes:

> Larry Stock of PPC-Carson City has done this for some GT-40 people that
> want to run the later, stronger, more available Pantera ZF. There's quite
> a bit
> to it with a 5Ds-25/2 trans including moving the ring gear to the other
> side of the case and (I think) a little machining inside. Call him for the
> skinny from someone who's actually done this.
>

>>>I think Larry has this work done by Lloyd Butfoy.   It's a fairly
involved procedure.   I spent two full days with Lloyd in his shop about a year
ago, as he performed this operation to a ZF that I bought for use in my
Superformance GT40 (the $100K needed to actually buy that car has failed to
materialize, although I keep checking my mailbox for Publishers Clearing House
Sweepstakes envelopes...)

While there are a few people who do this kind of work, reportedly only a
few of them have a full understanding of the subtleties needed to ensure long
life.   Without using too many names, as he performed the various specific
modifications, he explained what each one did, and in the same breath,
mentioned his competitors who failed to do them, leading to starving of
lubrication from the side bearings, rear bearings, etc. and so forth.

Lots of GT40 replicas are running ZF gearboxes, but few are running dry
sumps, so they aren't really capitalizing upon all that the original
orientation for the ZF has to offer (the ZF runs upside-down in a Pantera, normally,
relative to the original design).   In order to fully see the benefits of
GT40/Mangusta orientation, you have to run a GT40 flywheel, clutch and
bellhousing, all of which are substantially smaller in diameter than the standard
Ford size seen in the Pantera.

It's funny, and more than a bit sad, to see GT40 replicas with full-size
flywheel/clutch setups with the bellhousing/flywheel hanging several inches
below the bottom of the car, vulnerable to the slightest road imperfection.
But using an original-style GT40 bellhousing and appropriate-sized clutch is
not a cheap proposition--the parts are $2500-3000.

So if you want to do this to a Pantera, besides the cost of inverting the
gearbox (Lloyd charges $1500 for the operation, above and beyond the cost to
actually rebuild the gearbox), count on $2500-3000 for the
clutch/bellhousing bits, and then of course the not-inconsequential cost of the dry sump
system...and then you need to come up with new motor and gearbox mounts too....