[DeTomaso] NPC: On-board video of Cobra crash at 130mph

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 21 00:48:32 EST 2012

I don't think it's as cut and dry as Mike makes out, that roll bar is a hoop and he wouldn't pass the "Broomstick" test many racing organizations use. Running a broomstick from the roll bar (hoop) to frontal area of substance that the car would come to rest on if upside down, then no part of his helmet can be above the stick. In a Cobra the windshield is not substantial enough to hold anything so the stick would be run to a front fender, thus the guys head was most definitely at risk and IMO he was lucky it flipped more than rolled. It actually appears his head may be above the hoop alone, but I admit camera angles can be deceiving.

Look at the way his head is thrown around, all the safety equipment would include a Hans (or at minimum a neck brace), plus arm restraints in an open cockpit car.

Another good practice is to keeop your passenger belts secured, look at the belts flailing around.

Julian