[DeTomaso] 4-bolt main caps

Corey Price coreyjprice at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 21:32:53 EST 2012

Jack,

Just got the newsletter.  Great little story you wrote about 4-bolt main caps on 351 Cleveland blocks.  Check out my 2-bolt to 4-bolt cap conversion here:  http://pantera1998.blogspot.com/

Funny, because I had the 4-bolt caps, and the machinist said that it probably wouldn't fit.  He hadn't ever converted a 2-bolt block to a 4-bolt block (probably doesn't happen that much).  However, he installed the caps without drilling the block and put it in the line hone jig, and found that it worked great!  Minor line honing would be necessary, but no boring, and thrust surfaces on #3 main aligned just fine.  So, he drilled, tapped, and set the 4-bolt caps with ARP studs.  I really didn't think it needed it, but I had the 4-bolt caps, so why not…

Corey