[DeTomaso] Trabant 601 Interceptor

Konrad Szwab kszwab at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 12:13:35 EST 2012

Hehehe. I was born in Romania and those fine vehicles were part of daily
traffic. I rode in one at about 60 MPH once and nothing ever came to the
level of excitement of that day (including driving a Maserati Biturbo while
on fire). I do not know what was trembling more, the unbalanced wheels of
the Trabant or my knees when I got out.

Once I arrived in the US I used to have a great neighbor that every
Saturday at 6 AM sharp used to run his edger against the curb with great
skill. The sparks and bullet sounds would ensure I had a great start on
Saturdays.

As a return favor in kind, I used every Sunday at 6 AM to back out of the
garage the Pantera and my 3 cylinder 2 stroke boat and let them run for an
hour or so. That activity ensured that we had a great relationship going
for a number of years.

Listening to my boat sputtering and billowing the clouds of blue smoke, I
had a vision that a Trabant would be an excellent addition to the show. The
Trabant would behave the same way, PLUS it would be mobile so more than one
neighbor could enjoy the operation of such a fine automobile.

Although I moved to a different location so I could park my 20 cars, my
dream of owning another Trabant lives on.