[DeTomaso] What is a low milage Pantera L worth?

michael@michaelshortt.com michaelsavga at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 07:38:45 EST 2012

If my car were not yellow (which I love) and if I were painting a second
one, I wouldn't hesitate to paint it sublime green.

Michael Shortt

On Jan 12, 2012 1:13 AM, "Christopher Kimball" <chrisvkimball at msn.com>
wrote:

> My car was painted dark, metallic, Cadillac green by the previous owner,
and that's one of the main reasons I bought it.  It is a beautiful color,
and looks especially good in the sunlight.  Others must like it too, based
on the number of trophies I have from various car shows.
> But the bottom line is, as Mike says, what color do YOU like?
> Chris#3846
>
> > From: julian_kift at hotmail.com
> > To: mikeldrew at aol.com; detomasoregistry at gmail.com; detomaso at realbig.com
> > Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 19:27:48 -0800
> > Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] What is a low milage Pantera L worth?
> >

> > Autohaus here in Reno had a very original around 5K mileage Green
Pantera L I went and inspected maybe 2 years ago. I cannot recall the VIN#
on that car, but there appears to be a disproportionate number of green low
mileage Pantera L's or maybe they just don't get driven.... so one has to
ask is that because they are green?

> > This is coming tongue in cheek from a guy who owns a green 74 Pantera,
yes the shade of green that Mike would absolutely refuse to own. Maybe it's
the European influence in me and the fact it is close to a British Racing
Green, but it does grow on you after a while even if it is not my first
choice of color for a Pantera (that would actually be Grabber Blue). I
certainly never have to park next to another green Pantera at events and
have no trouble finding my car in the sea of yellow and red ones. Mike
would of course likely argue that the green one will always be the last one
left in a rush, so always easy to find, I have no problem with that. It's
sort of like being so dorkish it's almost cool.

http://www.provamo.com/Members/Registry/RegistryImages/RTHPNNA05971/RTHPNNA

> > > Absolutely not.   But you can't blame them for trying.   This car has
been
> > > perpetually for sale for many years now--perhaps even going from one
dealer
> > > to the next?
> > >
> > > The color seriously hurts the value of the car.   The low mileage
certainly
> > > adds to the value of the car, for a collector.   One would also
presume
> > > that with that low mileage came excellent condition, which adds to
the value
> > > for anyone.   Having said that, remember the 107-mile Pantera that
literally
> > > had rust holes in the body because the idiot first owner parked it
outside
> > > under a tree for 30 years?   So although low mileage is normally an
indicator
> > > of excellent condition, it's by no means a given, and even this car
would
> > > need a thorough going-over to be sure.
> > >
> > > Although personally I would never buy a Pantera painted this color,
> > > regardless of condition or price, I'd suggest that realistically it's
probably a
> > > $45K car tops.   If it was red, yellow, blue, white, or either of the
GTS
> > > paint schemes it would easily be worth $5K more.
> > >
> > > Having said THAT, once you spent that money, you'd then start
spending a
> > > lot more money if the car hadn't been maintained, which most cars
with this
> > > kind of mileage haven't.   That means new hoses, belts, fluids, etc.
at a
> > > minimum.   All the standard Pantera upgrades (cooling system etc.)
probably need