[DeTomaso] What is a low milage Pantera L worth?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jan 11 20:34:31 EST 2012

In a message dated 1/11/12 17 07 46, detomasoregistry at gmail.com writes:

> 5971 was just added to the registry:
>
> http://www.provamo.com/Members/Registry/RegistryImages/RTHPNNA05971/RTHPNNA
> 05971.asp
>
> After you look at the pics, make your estimate of what you think the car
> is worth,
> then click thru to the selling dealer for the sales price.
>
> Is this reasonable, and a sign of the current market?

Absolutely not.   But you can't blame them for trying.   This car has been
perpetually for sale for many years now--perhaps even going from one dealer
to the next?

The color seriously hurts the value of the car.   The low mileage certainly
adds to the value of the car, for a collector.   One would also presume
that with that low mileage came excellent condition, which adds to the value
for anyone.   Having said that, remember the 107-mile Pantera that literally
had rust holes in the body because the idiot first owner parked it outside
under a tree for 30 years?   So although low mileage is normally an indicator
of excellent condition, it's by no means a given, and even this car would
need a thorough going-over to be sure.

Although personally I would never buy a Pantera painted this color,
regardless of condition or price, I'd suggest that realistically it's probably a
$45K car tops.   If it was red, yellow, blue, white, or either of the GTS
paint schemes it would easily be worth $5K more.

Having said THAT, once you spent that money, you'd then start spending a
lot more money if the car hadn't been maintained, which most cars with this
kind of mileage haven't.   That means new hoses, belts, fluids, etc. at a
minimum.   All the standard Pantera upgrades (cooling system etc.) probably need
to be made too, and the motor will likely fail to impress, so
intake/exchange changes would be in the forcast, maybe a new ignition system, and on and
on and on....

Or, put another way, if you are anything but a collector, i.e. if you want
to DRIVE your Pantera, for the same money you could buy a different car that
was a MUCH better car.   This one really only has appeal to a
museum/collector type of guy....