[DeTomaso] Techno question: cold air induction "turkey pan" style for the Pantera

cengles at cox.net cengles at cox.net
Mon Jan 9 12:20:13 EST 2012

Dear Forum,

Years ago I saw Keith Verges' Pantera ( I think ) that had a special modification to the middle panel on the engine cover. I was a fabricated piece that had a lowered "floor" (or "roof" ) with hole in it for the carb to go through. It was explained to me that this modification isolated the carb's air intake to the cooler external air and and away from the heated air (a) coming up off of the engine and (b) coming up off of the road due to the Pantera aerodynamics of creating vacuum cleaner effect with "road air" coming up through the open engine room behind the cabin bulkhead.

This sort of cold air induction is illustrated by the Cobra "turkey pan" that isolates the carb from engine room heat and connects it to cold air coming in through the hood scoop (usually).

I think that I have only seen the one Pantera cold air induction "turkey pan" style. I know that elephant ears have been used to induct cold air. I know of a few ( Goran Malmberg ) supertrick central roof scoops for cold air.

Does the relatively simple "turkey pan" style cold air induction modification actually work? Methinks that it doesn't work all that well or else we would see it more often and on the vintage racing Panteras (Pat Hals). Comments?

Curious, Chuck Engles