[DeTomaso] air filter

B. Seib oldwheel at shaw.ca
Sun Jan 8 22:54:49 EST 2012

I also have a stock air cleaner for my 72 pre-L Warren.
You are correct. The replacement that John suggested is the current
replacement shown by NAPA et all. I have run into this problem too.

The current replacement does not fit properly because, as you said, it is
too tall. The original size filter seems to have been deleted from the lines
of most if not all manufacturers. As there is very little interest in
pantera circles in original air cleaners, you and I will likely have to
search the Mustang & Cougar groups to find out if they have a solution. The
Pantera air cleaners are the same ones, year for year as the 351 4v/Cobrajet
mustang & Cougar. They were, however, modified by DeTomaso to alter the
angle the air snorkel/s and inlets were positioned to suit the pantera.
There were at least 3 distinct different air cleaners used from 1971-74 and
probably four. Early models before VIN # 2292 had two possible types. Cars
from 2292 used a third type with a chrome lid and the inlet to the LH side
of the engine. VIN # 4840 used another type which had an inlet at the LH
front with a hose to pick air up near the LH frame rail near the road.

All the air cleaners after #2292 used the same filter according to Ford. It
was supposed to be DOGY9601A (Autolite/Motorcraft FA-74) The earlier cars
before #2292 took C8AZ9601A (FA-50)

If you find the right one , please post it here so that we (all 4 or 5 of us
who care) can get one too.

Barry

----
vvics442 at aol.com vvics442 at aol.com wrote:
Sun Jan 8 18:15:30 CST 2012

I have the stock air cleaner assembly and a 2 1/2" air filter does not fit .
Its too high and the lids does not close flush to the base!
Any other suggestions??