[DeTomaso] Pantera owner in shootout with Burglar

Peter Havlik peterhavlik at me.com
Sun Jan 8 04:31:43 EST 2012

Kudos to Jay Leone.
In Canada, it would not have turned out this well. In our country, the Liberal Party under Pierre Trudeau turned the justice system on its head back in the 1970s. Now, when a crime occurs, the institutional culture within the police and prosecutorial services, among criminology academics and among members of the legal profession in general, is to blame society or the victim (anybody but the criminal). Criminals are considered the true victims because the people they prey on did not cough up enough tax dollars for programs and services.
Let me give you a few recent Canadian examples of what happens when you allow bleeding heart liberals and ivory tower academics to run your justice system (the following event descriptions are copied from Canadian media accounts):
Example One:
Ontario resident Ian Thomson awoke last August to three individuals firebombing his home while shouting death threats. Thomson, a former firearms instructor, retrieved a legally owned handgun and fired over the heads of the attackers. Security cameras captured the incident for police and Crown prosecutors to review.
For his efforts Mr. Thomson had his guns confiscated and faced criminal prosecution.
http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/01/20/man-faces-jail-after-protecting-home-from-masked-attackers/

Example Two:

Toronto grocer David Chen faced criminal charges and several loopy days in court for apprehending and holding a multi-convicted thug engaged in theft from Mr. Chen’s business.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/editorials/david-chen-hero-grocer-was-left-on-his-own/article1778679/

Example Three:

Lawrence Manzer of New Brunswick, a former member of Canada’s military, currently faces criminal charges for assisting his neighbour Brian Fox, also a retired member of this nation’s armed forces. Fox and Manzer were victims of break-ins and vandalism who made the help call to police. ‘Sorry, we can’t take action unless the perpetrators are caught in the act’ they were told.
Today Lawrence Manzer relates how not long after he heard a commotion at Fox’s home and rushed outside with an unloaded shotgun to assist his neighbour, who had confronted three individuals on his property. Drunken teens it turned out, one of whom received a fine.
Brian Fox was arrested for assault, another charge eventually dropped. Lawrence Manzer continues to face possession of a weapon for a purpose dangerous to public peace criminal prosecution.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2010/11/23/nb-men-charged-confronting-vandals.html

Example Four:
Toronto police have arrested two men after a break-in in the northwest end of the city. On Sunday, a man was walking his girlfriend home late at night when they saw signs that her home had been broken into. The man then entered the home and found an intruder inside. A struggle ensued and the intruder suffered numerous stab wounds. The intruder was hospitalized and charged with break and enter. The man, 28-year-old Moses Mahilal, has been charged with aggravated assault.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2011/08/03/matt-gurney-maybe-canada-should-have-a-castle-doctrine/

Example Five:

Yesterday morning at Taber provincial court, Singleton, 46, entered a not-guilty plea, after he was charged by the RCMP with assault with a weapon and assault causing bodily harm. The charges stemmed from a May 29 home invasion, when Singleton struck one of the suspects twice with the blunt end of a hatchet.

http://www.tabertimes.com/news/local-news/777-singleton-case-headed-to-trial.html

Message: 50