[DeTomaso] Fuel Pump replacement

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jan 4 15:47:42 EST 2012

In a message dated 1/4/12 11 41 20, tmshinro at aol.com writes:

> I need to replace my leaking fuel pump and intended to do it when things
> warm up in the spring.   We are having a very mild winter here in Iowa so
> far with no snow and it is supposed to get near a record high of 52
> tomorrow, so I'm thinking on getting the job done tomorrow.  I've never replaced a
> fuel pump before so I have a couple of questions.
>
> 1.   I want to remove the oil filter to give more room to access the
> mounting bolts.   Can I take the oil filter off without draining the oil, or
> stated another way, if I take the oil filter off will oil leak out of the
> block where it mounts?
>
>>>Just a bit of a dribble; it shouldn't pour out.   The oil is sucked up
from the pan by the oil pump, then sent through to the filter, only when the
engine is running.   When you shut it off, the oil dribbles back down into
the pan.   So you should be fine.

> > I have one of those 10 quart oil pans that only hold 7 or 8 quarts, if
> that makes a difference.  BTW...I checked the dip stick for signs of gas in
> the oil and didn't see any (no increased level and no smell).
>
>>>Be glad!
>
> >2.  Do I need to use gasket sealer or is it a dry fit?
>
>>>It's a dry fit, with the included gasket.   You'll want to scrape off
the old gasket and install the new one that will come with the pump.

> >3.  Does it make any real difference on the crank position to the
> install?
>
>>>Yes--it is MUCH easier to do it if the crank (actually the cam) is in a
certain position.

Take a look at the front of my engine:

This gives an excellent view showing how the fuel pump works.   The
eccentric mounted to the front of the cam rotates, and in so doing, pushes the
lever up and down.   In the photo, it is in the worst possible location for
installing a fuel pump, as the lever is fully depressed.   If the cam was
rotated 180 degrees, the eccentric would be in the best possible position, and you
could easily just slot the pump into position.