[DeTomaso]   ZF removal

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jan 4 15:25:51 EST 2012

In a message dated 1/4/12 11 52 59, jb841 at cox.net writes:

> If you follow Mike's instructions, you will not be able to separate the ZF
> from the engine.
> Seems that removing the starter was overlooked.  I can't believe someone
> didn't catch that!!.
>
>>>I can't believe I forgot it! :>)
>
> >Placing a jack (and block) under a stock stamped steel oil pan is not a
> good idea.  It has a
> tendency to produce loud knocking sounds when the engine is running.
> Support that type
> of oil pan by the pan's rails.
>
>>>Well, the main weight of the engine is still supported by the motor
mounts.   The block under the oil pan isn't doing anything except tilting it
forward.   Oversize pans and stock pans are the same in the rear (the oversize
pans are made by cutting the front off a stock pan and replacing it with a
bigger box with a bunch of stuff inside).   So the technique works fine with
either style pan.

But you're right--you would definitely not want to support the entire
weight of the engine on a stock pan.....