[DeTomaso] Fuel Pump replacement

Tom Shinrock tmshinro at aol.com
Wed Jan 4 14:40:38 EST 2012

I need to replace my leaking fuel pump and intended to do it when things warm up in the spring.   We are having a very mild winter here in Iowa so far with no snow and it is supposed to get near a record high of 52 tomorrow, so I'm thinking on getting the job done tomorrow.  I've never replaced a fuel pump before so I have a couple of questions.

1.   I want to remove the oil filter to give more room to access the mounting bolts.   Can I take the oil filter off without draining the oil, or stated another way, if I take the oil filter off will oil leak out of the block where it mounts?   I have one of those 10 quart oil pans that only hold 7 or 8 quarts, if that makes a difference.  BTW...I checked the dip stick for signs of gas in the oil and didn't see any (no increased level and no smell).

2.  Do I need to use gasket sealer or is it a dry fit?

3.  Does it make any real difference on the crank position to the install?

Thanks,

Tom