[DeTomaso] How to lubricate a new speedometer cable

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Jan 4 14:18:30 EST 2012

In a message dated 1/4/12 6:57:35 AM, tbaranek at earthlink.net writes:

> What should I do to the new one, before installation, to ensure
> longer/quieter/smoother life?

I assume that the 'cable' is the entire assembly, because only installing a
new inner cable into a used cable housing will quickly wear out the new
inner- on any car.
First, elevate one end of the housing and make a paper funnel that you can
tape to the raised end. Then add a little motor oil and let it sit until oil
drips from the lower end. This ensures that there is lube thru the full
length.
Second, do NOT install the new cable with tight tidy bends. Some stock and
many home-installed speedo cables use far too tight bends to connect the ZF
to the speedo. It's at the bends that the liner wears out, grabs the inner
cable and causes jerks and twitches- until it breaks. Use big sweeping bends
and tie-wraps to keep the cable from sagging down where it can snag things.
Works for me- J Deryke