[DeTomaso] girling calipers - rebuild

Pantdino pantdino at aol.com
Sun Jan 1 15:09:07 EST 2012

Yes-- you have to put pieces of wood of various thicknesses in between the pistons to keep the loose ones in place while you apply air pressure to get the stuck ones out. If one piston of opposing pistons is loose and the other still stuck, IIRC I used a piece of wood across the caliper to keep the loose one in while I applied air. Or a C-clamp will work too.

 But DO NOT GET YOUR FINGERS IN THE WAY OF A STUCK PISTON when you apply pressure. When those puppies come out it sounds like a gunshot. I put the caliper inside a plastic bag so brake fluid does not spray everywhere.