[DeTomaso] Speaking of (crankshafts)

Thomas Tornblom thomas at hax.se
Wed Feb 29 02:09:05 EST 2012

2012-02-29 06:34, Ken Green skrev:
> Guys,
>
>      Dies the crank have to be flat for a12 cylinder boxer?  Can you have 3 flat 4's 120 degrees apart and is it still a flat crank if the throws for each of the 4s are flat?

Here's a snippet from the document you linked to:

---
For example, a 12-cylinder engine can be flat but it will use a crank
where the crank pins are spaced 60º.
---

I think this is incorrect for a V-engine though, the spacing is normally
120°. You can think of a V12 as two straight sixes sharing a single
crank. The crank will look like a straight six crank.

For a true 12 cylinder boxer the pins would be spaced 60° apart.