[DeTomaso] Speaking of exhaust systems...

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Feb 27 23:55:21 EST 2012

In a message dated 2/27/12 19 31 50, cengles at cox.net writes:

>           The flat crank is almost exclusively a high performance engine
> component whose advantages over a conventional crank rapidly fall off when
> the engine displacement exceeds 4.0 liters, I believe.

More to the point, supposedly flat cranks have enormous vibration problems,
which are exacerbated by larger displacement.   Current materials can
handle the vibrations when the reciprocating masses are small (3-liter Ferrari,
etc.) but when you start talking about whopping great pistons and rods like
in an American V8, the masses become too great and a flat crank would simply
fail.

Or so I've been told.   You would think that if a flat crank was feasible
in our applications, somebody with deep pockets and a desire to be fast (or
different) would have done it.   I suspect the testing has all be done
already, and the idea proven to be a failure.

Does anybody know otherwise?