[DeTomaso] ZF drain plugs - vendor only?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Feb 25 19:38:44 EST 2012

In a message dated 2/25/12 16 23 1, fresnofinches at aol.com writes:

> Are the ZF drain plugs anything special that warrants a visit to a
> vendor?
>
> Or are they generic size and pitch to be readily found locally?
>
> Didn't find anything in the SOBill database.

I don't know this for a fact, but my experience with my VW Sciroccos and
Panteras leads me to BELIEVE that both VW and Pantera use the same-size drain
and fill plugs for the gearboxes.   The Powerbuilt drain plug socket says
they are for "VW, BMW and Porsche".   All use the same 17mm inside hex, and it
stands to reason that they would similarly use the same outside diameter
and threads.   Hit the junkyards, pluck a drain plug from a water-cooled VW
gearbox and try it out?   Or go to NAPA and ask for a VW or BMW or Porsche
drain plug if you want new?